Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Caramel Cake

A couple of days later i decided to make this recipe that i have had my eye on for a while. I quite like *love* caramel so this was a recipe I was looking forward to! The cake, as far as I remember, was fairly simple to make. It is just a fairly simple white "pound" cake, fairly dense and quite heavy. The caramel sauce takes a little work to make but it is delicious. A lot of the caramel sauce however, is lost when it is poured over the cake, I scooped it back up about 6 or 7 times before i actually got it all to stay ON the cake. The cake seemed to *eat* the caramel sauce which kind of scared me. The corners of the cake had just the right amount of caramel on them but the other pieces just seemed to lack the correct amount of sauce. It was kind of like eating a dry white cake that someone tried to fix with the caramel sauce. In the end the cake was good once it had set and soaked for a while, but I still feel it needs more of the caramel sauce. I would give this a rating of about a 4.

I would opt next time to either leave the cake in the pan and pour the caramel over it while it is in the pan, or double the recipe for the caramel sauce. Another idea would be to poke the cake with a fork to help the cake absorb the sauce. (This only makes an 8x8 cake.) Overall this was a good cake that would not serve so much as a dessert in and of itself, but maybe along side of something like berries, whipped cream, a mousse of sorts, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment